Representation For Terre Haute Catastrophic Injury Cases
There are serious injuries that result in physical, emotional and financial turmoil, yet healing can restore the injured person to a normal lifestyle over time. However, catastrophic injuries are debilitating, permanent injuries that forever change the way a person lives, as well as their family’s lives. If you have suffered a catastrophic injury due to the negligent and reckless actions of another party, it is important to obtain legal counsel from an experienced catastrophic injury lawyer in Terre Haute.
At McGlone Law, our Terre Haute-based legal team is ready to help you recover the compensation you deserve. With eight decades of legal experience, our personal injury attorneys have a complete understanding of Indiana laws and court processes to help you navigate through the potential complications of your case.
Let us travel directly to you, wherever you are. We can lighten your load and fight for you.
Typical Types Of Catastrophic Injuries
Common permanent injury examples include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), also referred to as head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries (SCI) resulting in paraplegia, quadriplegia and other degrees of paralysis
- Complex bone fractures
- Acquired blindness
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
- Internal organ damage
- Burn injuries
When someone suffers a catastrophic injury, day-to-day activities can be very difficult to perform. Without the proper monetary resources, the family of the injured party is left to sacrifice their own finances and time to provide continuous care.
How Are Settlement Amounts Determined In Permanent Injury Cases?
Determining how much compensation someone deserves for suffering a life-altering injury is an extremely difficult thing to do. In addition, many states enforce something called “damage caps,” which limit how much compensation someone is able to receive for damages such as pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.
While Indiana currently enforces damage caps for medical malpractice claims and claims against the state, exceptions may be made to these laws. Having a well-informed injury lawyer can help ensure that you receive the maximum compensation available.
Catastrophic Injury Case Settlement Factors
In general, when determining settlement amounts for catastrophic injuries, attorneys take into account the financial expenses that must be paid in order to help the victim recover as much as possible; whether this includes long-term therapy or treatment, or consistent care for the remainder of the victim’s life, this will be taken into account when determining what a fair settlement would be. As such, the exact amount will vary from one case to the next depending on the severity and extent of your injuries.
Some common expenses taken into account with catastrophic injury cases include the following:
- Medical treatment and expenses (including ongoing treatment)
- Adaptive equipment required to help improve a victim’s quality of life (such as lifts, wheelchairs, special vans, ramps and other devices.)
- At-home personal care and/or nursing services
- Ongoing physical, emotional or developmental therapy expenses
- Renovations that must be made to the victim’s home to accommodate long-term wheelchair use, etc.
- Loss of consortium for the victim’s spouse; loss of companionship for children and other dependent family members
Our attorneys work with life care planners to help determine and compile a realistic care plan with dollar amounts attached to each area of need.
Common Causes Of Catastrophic Injuries
A serious permanent injury can be caused by any number of accidents, including the following:
- Car accidents, including two-car accidents, single-car accidents and multiple-vehicle accidents
- Truck accidents involving big rigs (also known as 18-wheelers and semi trucks), pick-up trucks, delivery vans, utility trucks and other extra-large vehicles
- Motorcycle accidents and crashes involving scooters, motorized bicycles and similar vehicles
- Slip-and-fall accidents at work and elsewhere
No matter how your accident happened, McGlone Law is here to support you during your recovery process and offer the strong legal representation you need as you pursue justice.
Let Us Get Started On Your Case Today
Whether you are involved in a serious car accident or used a defective device that caused immense harm, having a qualified catastrophic injury attorney in Terre Haute on your side enables you to seek monetary damages for your injuries. Our Terre Haute injury lawyers can conduct an investigation into your accident and gather crucial evidence to develop a strong and relentless case strategy just for you.
Whether the matter is settled inside or outside the courtroom, our legal team at McGlone Law will be there every step of the way. You will not have to pay us anything unless we win your case.
Contact our Terre Haute catastrophic injury lawyers by email or by phone at 812-650-5584 and request a free consultation today.