Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Terre Haute Obtaining Maximum Compensation For Indiana Injury Victims
Being a pedestrian involved in an accident can be overwhelming in and of itself. However, the situation can seem almost unbearable if you have the added condition of being injured due to another person’s negligence. In addition, you are likely already dealing with a stack of medical bills and are worried about how you will support yourself and your family if you cannot work.
McGlone Law of Terre Haute, Indiana is a personal injury law firm dedicated to assisting pedestrian accident victims to recover maximum compensation for their injuries. Contact our law offices and ask to schedule a free consultation to review your case and answer your questions.
What Are the Main Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents may occur for a variety of reasons. However, several commonly cited reasons in pedestrian accident reports occur more frequently than others.
- Left-hand turns are hazardous to pedestrians as drivers often pay more attention to other traffic.
- Drivers being impaired due to alcohol or drugs
- The pedestrian is wearing dark clothing at night
- A pedestrian not crossing in the crosswalk
- Adverse weather conditions
Even though all of these factors could lead to a pedestrian accident, distracted driving is the most dangerous and common root cause of collisions. In our age of modern technology, motorists are often more preoccupied with their phones or car entertainment system than keeping their eyes on the road.
What Should I Do if I Have Been Involved in a Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you must remain calm. You need to follow several other steps to ensure your health and well-being. They include:
- Remain on the accident scene and call 911. If injured, request emergency medical responders.
- Gather information such as the driver’s name, insurance, and license plate number.
- Take pictures or video of any damage to the driver’s vehicle, the lighting, and the terrain.
- Collect contact information from bystanders who may be potential witnesses.
- Even if you feel fine, seek medical attention immediately. Many insurance companies will refuse to pay a claim if the other party has not been examined by a medical professional.
- Keep all hospital and police reports for your records.
- Contact a qualified pedestrian accident attorney who can determine what type of legal action you can take.
Our pedestrian accident lawyers can assist you in determining if your case qualifies to file a claim and will fight to help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Can Your Law Firm Help Me Recover Lost Wages?
Pedestrians lack many of the basic protections that other individuals enjoy while traveling in a motor vehicle and often fail victim to severe injuries due to the accident. Often these injuries are severe and result in the victim being unable to work, which quickly creates financial hardship for them and their families.
Under Indiana law, you may be entitled to recover economic and non-economic damages if you have been injured in a pedestrian accident. These damages are also often referred to as compensatory damages.
Economic damages are meant to recover out-of-pocket expenses the injury victim incurred due to being injured. They may include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential
Non-economic damages are awarded to cover intangible losses the pedestrian accident victim has suffered. They typically depend on the circumstances surrounding the case and may include the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Permanent disfigurement and scarring
At McGlone Law, our personal injury lawyers can thoroughly review the unique facts associated with your case and determine what types of damages and settlement amounts are appropriate for your pedestrian accident claim.
Can Having a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Help Me Obtain More Compensation?
Every pedestrian accident case is different, and the compensation you may recover depends significantly on the facts connected with the incident itself. However, having a qualified pedestrian accident lawyer on your side can increase your chances of recovering a better settlement on your behalf.
At McGlone Law of Terre Haute, Indiana, our legal team is highly skilled in negotiation and will work hard to obtain a settlement that is in your best interests. Contact our law firm by calling 812-247-8416 and ask to speak with a qualified legal team member who gladly answers your questions.