Hit and Run Accident Lawyers in Terre Haute Obtaining Justice and Compensation for Indiana Victims
Being involved in any motor vehicle accident can be overwhelming, especially if you suffer any physical injury or emotional distress. Sustaining any injury from a hit-and-run is not only frightening but also upsetting because the individual responsible for the accident will not be held accountable for their actions.
McGlone Law of Terre Haute, Indiana understands that a hit-and-run accident can be very upsetting as you probably are unsure of what steps you need to take to try and recover compensation for property damage sustained to your vehicle along with any medical expenses you may have incurred as a result of being injured.
Our attorneys have extensive experience handling hit-and-run accidents and can help you file a claim with your insurance company to recover the money you need to resume your life. Contact our law offices and ask to schedule a meeting with a legal team member to learn more information.
What Should I Do if I Am Involved in a Hit and Run?
If you are involved in a hit and run, there are certain steps you must follow to ensure that you are not in violation of the law and to ensure your own well-being. They are:
- Make sure to bring your vehicle to a complete stop as close to the accident scene as possible
- Call 911 to report the accident. Indiana law requires that you immediately report any injuries to law enforcement officials and request medical assistance.
- If you are not taken to the hospital, be sure to remain on the scene so that you can fill out an accident report. Be sure to obtain a copy of the accident report for your records.
- If possible, obtain the names and contact information of any bystanders who may have witnessed the accident.
- Seek medical attention even if you do think you are injured. Some insurance providers will deny your claim if you are not evaluated after being involved in an accident.
- Contact a highly qualified hit-and-run accident attorney as soon as possible to learn your legal rights and how to protect your interests.
Why Do Drivers Commit Hit and Run?
Drivers commit hit-and-run accidents for many different reasons, but Indiana has strong penalties for any driver who is caught committing such an offense. Some of the most frequently cited reasons for hit-and-run accidents include:
- The driver is impaired and does not want to be charged with operating while intoxicated (OWI).
- The driver is uninsured
- The vehicle is stolen
- The driver has illegal drugs or weapons in their possession.
- The driver has an outstanding warrant for their arrest.
How Can I Obtain Compensation After a Hit and Run?
Even though Indiana drivers are not legally compelled to carry underinsured (UIM) or uninsured motorist (UM) protection, this type of coverage can be invaluable if you are involved in a hit-and-run accident.
UIM and UM insurance provide benefits to hit-and-run accident victims. In most cases, the coverage is up to $25,000 in total value. However, if you do not have UIM or UM coverage, you have the option of submitting an insurance claim with your provider. The amount of financial compensation you are able to recover will depend on the terms and conditions outlined in your policy.
In some claims, your insurer may try to deny or undervalue your claim. This is one reason it is vital to obtain legal representation after being involved in any motor vehicle accident.
How Can Your Law Firm Help Me After a Hit and Run Accident?
If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, McGlone Law will do everything we can to help you recover compensation for your property damage and medical expenses. We can assist you with correctly filling out the insurance paperwork and ensuring it is turned in on time. We will also act as your legal advocate should any issues arise with your insurance provider.
McGlone Law is passionately committed to helping individuals who have had their lives disrupted by hit-and-run accidents. We work hard to assist you in recovering compensation to help you regain peace of mind.
Contact our law firm by calling 812-247-8416 and asking to schedule a free case review to understand your legal options.